Our Story

The village of Coagh is situated in Mid Ulster on the banks of the Ballinderry River, on the county boundary with Co. Tyrone and Co. Londonderry.

It is known that a Baptist witness existed on the outskirts of the village in the latter part of the nineteenth century. The work ceased when a new land owner refused to allow the work to continue on his property where the building was situated. The Pastor left and the members dispersed, some to the Brethren and some to Baptist assemblies elsewhere.

In the nineteen twenties, Pastor McKillen, Tobermore and Mr George Olley, Grove Baptist, Belfast, the latter arriving on horseback, started Gospel meetings in the village and as a result of their efforts a local assembly of twelve members was formed in 1928. This small enthusiastic group of born again believers set about the task of erecting a permanent meeting place and in 1929, a new building costing approximately £800 with seating for one hundred was opened to the glory of God. The call was given to and accepted by Mr. Olley to become Pastor. He remained as Pastor until 1931 when he accepted a call to Newtownards Baptist Church.

The assembly though small continued to witness in the village and district and saw souls saved and added to the number. The late Pastor Jardine, a native of Coagh retired from Grove Baptist Church and came to reside in the area. He was pastor for a few years in the 1930’s and guided and helped the young Church with wisdom and grace. Pastor Jardine went to be with the Lord in 1937 and for a number of years, the Church depended on visiting speakers for Lord’s day meetings, missions and ministry. It is worth recording that in this long period of vacancy two elders namely Mr. Jack Ashcroft and the late Mr. Walter Marks ministered faithfully in the Word and doctrine.

By the early 1950’s the membership had risen to approximately thirty and in 1952, the late Pastor J.J. Baxter accepted the call to pastor the Church as well as Magherafelt Baptist Church. Times had changed Pastor Baxter travelled between Magherafelt and Coagh on a 250cc B.S.A. motorcycle. Pastor Baxter laboured faithfully for five years when in 1957, he left to take up the pastorate in Lisburn Baptist Church. The work continued to grow and prosper and in 1963, a new porch with toilet and cloakroom accommodation was added to the building. A kitchen was built to the rear of the building in 1965.

In 1968, Mr Draffin who was then a Home Mission Evangelist had a mission in the church. The Church members were impressed with his clear presentation of the Gospel message and his friendly, charming ways and after much prayer decided to call him as Pastor. Coinciding with this event a new manse was being built at the rear of the church and on its completion in March 1969, Mr Draffin became Pastor. For the next five years Pastor Draffin laboured in the Gospel holding missions in outlying areas and saw the membership double to some seventy souls. In November 1974, Pastor Draffin moved to Canada to continue in the Lord’s work. The believers in Coagh were sad to see him leave but rejoiced when recounting his labours in the Master’s vineyard.

From November 1974 to January 1976, the church was vacant and during the vacancy some improvements were carried out to the manse. In January 1976, Mr Jack Hughes, a member of Shankill Baptist was inducted as Pastor. He carried on a fruitful work in Coagh for almost eleven years. He was an able exponent of the Word and a gifted Gospel preacher. This was borne out by the fact that on Lord’s day evenings the church building was packed to overflowing. The membership which by now had increased to one hundred, embarked on an ambitious scheme to erect a new church building with seating for two hundred. This was started in October 1983 and was completed in May 1985. Mrs Jack Bell, a foundation member performed the opening ceremony. The building was erected by voluntary labour by the Church members and friends and was opened free of debt. Pastor Hughes received a call from Ballykeel Baptist Church and left Coagh in October 1986.

The church was vacant again and in 1987, the manse was renovated and extended. In March 1988, Mr John McFarland from Newtownards was inducted as Pastor. Under his ministry the Church experienced times of blessing and rejoicing in the goodness of God. Pastor McFarland proved to be an able minister of God’s Word, putting great emphasis on biblical truth. With a burning desire for the salvation of the lost, he exercised a faithful and fervent ministry in the Gospel and in outreach in the locality.

The believers in Coagh rejoice and praise God for his goodness in days that are gone. They are grateful to God for those in past days who through love for the Lord Jesus Christ kept the witness alive through difficult times. The Christians at Coagh press on under God with a firm desire to maintain an effective witness to the Lord in this area and to spread the Gospel of God’s saving grace. The Church continues to place great emphasis on biblical truth believing that God honours those who honour Him.

We’d love to see you.

Sundays at Coagh

We’d love to see you.

Sunday gatherings are the primary way we gather as a church to worship together, learn from Scripture, pray for one another, and create space to hear from the Spirit. Everyone is welcome.

Learn More